Tuesday 30 October 2012

Things I have found out about applique (updated)

1. It is time consuming. But in a good way.

2. The backing makes a difference. I started out with no backing and it was crap, wavy as anything. Went on the Interweb and found a couple of videos, one of which recommended PAPER behind the design. Result - success! Ordinary printer paper works for me, btw.

3. Spray glue is wonderful stuff.

4.  It takes a bit of practice for first timers to master. There is an array of leaves and leaf-type shapes hovering around the sewing table, plus different stitch experiments, all of which are varying degrees of crapness. But, eh, that is how we learn.

5. I quite like it :D

--------

6. I don't like it quite so much after pulling out threads (which took me about 40 mins. Hmph) when the bit I was doing wrinkled like buggery. Hmph. 

7. Have discovered that appliqueing on top of applique doesnt work, unless you swap the feet over for a walking foot, and lose the paper. Until you are back down to 2 layers, then you need the paper again.

8. Get one of these:

 
Applique Foot - It's ace!


9. Remember to spray the wrong side of the applique, otherwise there will be penmarks all over the front. 

Feel free to learn from my mistakes!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sooooooo with you on point 4. Looking forward to the photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I love hearing from you!